No matter how precious it may be, jewelry can look dull and lose its sparkle over time. When you have an old piece of jewelry, the last thing you want to do is neglect it. Though your jewelry might be considered precious, an appraisal may not yield its true great value if you do not attempt to restore it. So, before you visit an expert appraiser of jewelry in Colorado Springs, make sure you clean your old jewelry.
How to Clean and Restore Old Jewelry
Bring your jewelry back to life and ensure that you can get the highest appraisal value out of it. Before you sell jewelry in Colorado Springs, take note of these cleaning tips:
- Use gloves when inspecting old jewelry. It is important that the oil from your hands does not affect the quality of the materials and stones. It is also important to closely inspect the jewelry to make sure there are no loose stones. Losing even just one stone can cause its value to drop significantly.
- Check if there is no foil on the back of the stone. If there is foil, it is imperative that you do not submerge it in water. Doing so will cause the foil to loosen.
- Perform a test cleaning. This step is designed to do an initial clean of the jewelry and its stones. Use a damp cloth to wipe clean the stones and mounting. Make sure you do so gently so that no water seeps into the stones or mounting.
- Prepare a gentle cleaning solution. Combine half a cup of warm water, two to three drops of dishwashing soap, and two drops of household ammonia. Before you use the cleaning solution, always test a small piece of the jewelry first. And this must be done only if your jewelry has no foil-backs or any loose stones.
- Use a soft brush to apply the cleaning solution to the jewelry. Use a gentle scrubbing motion and let the solution do the cleaning for you. Make sure that you wipe it completely dry afterwards. Any water that rests on the piece can cause it damage over time.
- Use a microfiber cloth to dry your jewelry. Do this on every part of the jewelry to make sure that it is completely dry. Inspect every part to make sure that you do not miss a spot. Repeat this step as needed.
Where to Sell Old Jewelry in Colorado Springs
Are you looking for jewelry buyers in Colorado Springs? Make sure to check out Lane Mitchell Jewelers! We are known as one of the best jewelers in the Colorado Springs area. With over 40 years of experience, we specialize in custom designs, diamond engagement rings, estate jewelry, appraisals, repairs, and Native American jewelry in Colorado Springs. Whatever you need that has something to do with jewelry, we have got it covered!
You can start here if you want to sell your old jewelry. You can guarantee that we offer honest and accurate appraisals for your jewelry. In fact, we also provide certification to ensure that our appraisal reflects industry standards. To learn more about how to sell and appraise your jewelry, call us at (719) 632-1170. You can also send an email to LaneJewelers@gmail.com.